Thursday, November 19, 2009

Boat Collision Survivor Speaks

Boat Collision Survivor Speaks


33 year old Cesar Scott was killed in Sunday night’s deadly collision between two boats in San Pedro. The captain of the boat he was in 42 year old Antonio Tepaz survived and is hospitalized in the intensive care unit at the Healthcare Partners Hospital. He is lucky to be alive and today from his hospital bed he told Keith Swift that he didn’t cause the accident. In fact he says that he tried to prevent it. Here’s his story.
Keith Swift Reporting,
Antonio Tepaz says Sunday night’s collision was unavoidable.
Antonio Tepaz, Involved in Boat Accident
I try my best to nuh make the collision be. I see a boat in front me. I tried to go up by the reef but the boat was still coming up. I thought I would go to the beach now and at the same time when I went to the beach the boat took the curve to go the normal way and from there when I think to stop the boat to not let the collision be very hard, and I tried to change direction but then I don’t remember anything more.
Tepaz woke up in this hospital bed at Healthcare Partners Hospital which is where he’s been since the accident. His right foot is broken and so is his right shoulder. But Tepaz is the lucky one. His co-worker Cesar Scott died.
Keith Swift,
Do you feel guilty that you’re alive and Cesar isn’t?
Antonio Tepaz,
Well the man done passed away already. Sometimes I feel bad about it too but if you are driving something and something like that happened and your friend passes away what would you think about it? You feel bad. I feel bad about it too because he is my friend and co-worker too.

And Antonio says he doesn’t feel guilty because he maintains he did nothing wrong. He says his boat has running lights and they were on on Sunday night.
Keith Swift,
“The witnesses say they didn’t see your boat coming, your boat just appeared out of nowhere.
Antonio Tepaz,
No I had on my lights and as I tell you my one witness is God because I go to church and I don’t have to lie about it.
Keith Swift,
Were you speeding?
Antonio Tepaz,
Yes I was going a little fast, 45 to 46 rpm but when I saw that boat coming very fast I tried to slow down.


Keith Swift,
Even the Mayor of San Pedro said she heard your lights weren’t on.
Antonio Tepaz,
No I had on my lights and that is why I am telling you God is my witness and I had on the lights on the boat. That was an accident, nobody has the fault. I know I had on my lights on the boat. That is why I tell you the truth.
The truth and hard reality this veteran of the sea is now forced to live with.
Antonio Tepaz,
I can’t walk because my foot is broken until about six months maybe a year.
Keith Swift,
“When you do recover will you return to being a captain?
Antonio Tepaz,
I don’t know. God will decide that, not me.
The police and Port Authority are still investigating. 33 year old Cesar Scott will be laid to rest over the weekend. CH7

No comments: